The Advantages of timber frame construction
- Timber frame construction is potentially one of the greenest ways of building for several reasons
- Timber itself captures and locks up CO² as it grows and keeps it that way till the end of the building’s life.
- Timber has a very low embodied energy. It basically consists of the energy to process the timber and deliver it. Even when imported it travels mainly by ship which is an advantage in terms of embodied energy. This contrasts sharply with the energy that goes into making bricks, blocks, metals, plastics etc. Typically timber is 8.65 MJ/Kg. It takes up very little of the wall thickness of a building compared with, say, blocks or brickwork so it allows more space for insulation.
- Timber is structurally very efficient, Timber frame houses provide excellent thermal and sound insulation with the benefits of home owners saving up to £1000 on annual heating costs
- Extremely few hazardous chemicals need to be used in timber construction.
- There is less waste of timber product because the project is manufactured from the factory and constructed onsite.
- While efficient thermal insulation is undoubtedly the key elements in preventing heat loss within a home, problem areas exist at the joints where surfaces such as walls, roofs, windows and doors meet. In order to achieve the A3 BER ratings for our timber frame houses, our team at QTF Homes have to ensure that all such joints are airtight to prevent all draughts that may enter the structure.
- On your building site there doesn’t need to be much wastage of timber. Short off cuts can usually be used for noggins or bits of outbuildings or landscaping features.
Why choose QTF Homes timber frame construction
At QTF Homes we are committed to constructing environmentally friendly, sustainable timber frame houses. All of the timber used in the construction of your house is sourced from sustainable forests. By choosing QTF Homes for your project, you have a partner dedicated to providing a home to enjoy for generations to come. Timber frame construction is easier to heat and keep warm and can offer you savings of as much as 70 per cent on energy costs. Because timber frame is so design flexible, it’s easy for you to incorporate your own ideas. Creating your own design is fun and extremely satisfying – and it ensures that your new home has all the facilities and features that you and your family require.
Interested to read more about the advantages of Timber Frame Construction and how much it can save you? Click here to read more.