QTF Homes are a Timber Frame kit company. We supply to in Northern Ireland, Ireland and UK.
While were watching ‘The house that £100k built’ on BBC2 (March 15th 2017) which shows a couples journey to build a “medieval” timber beamed house in East Anglia with just £50,000. We discovered and decided to share a number of tips for creating your dream home for under £100K. Low cost fixtures, fittings and interiors have ultimately set this project apart to achieve a beautiful home for this budget but for the exterior build and structure quality this project was a great success.
This begs the questions – Is giving up interior fixings and fittings possible and could you find alternative, cost effective and beautiful ways to finish your home and what other ways can you build an affordable, high performance home?
To Help, we have put together our guide and tips to building an affordable self build with a timber frame structure:
1. Build a two-story: The two most expensive parts of any house are the foundation and the roof. When you build two stories, you can double the floor area while halving the costly square footage of the foundation and the roof.
QTF Homes Top Tip for affordable build: For a timber frame build you can foundations are simplified and more cost effective because internal walls are not load bearing therefore less concrete is required within the foundation in comparison to a traditional block build.
2. Think inside the box: Although timber frames offer the ability for complex designs, the least expensive homes are simple rectangles and squares.
QTF Homes Top Tip for affordable build: You can add curb appeal with great colors and a few attractive architectural flourishes, such as great front porch.
3. Keep the roof simple: Complex roof lines not only add significant cost, but the risk of future leaks. A simple, not too steep roof will protect your investment over time.
QTF Homes Top Tip for affordable build: Choosing Tiles for your roof are much more affordable than slate and we recommend you price around.
4. Schedule your build with a completion date: Working to a completion date and sticking to it will help you to ensure your work to within your budget. Timber frame builders are 30% faster than conventional method and they can be erected within three to five days after being delivered to site. This provides buildings the opportunity to save on construction and operation costs as they are quicker to build, reducing hours of labour hence reducing costs.
QTF Homes Top Tip for affordable build: Know how long your construction workers will be on-site to work labour costs into your budget. Electricians – no tracking require, Plumbers – no tracking required, Bricklayers – 50% less work required. Joiners – all panels/structures are accurately made in the factory and therefore easier and quicker to construct together
The following guides and tips are internal building areas to think about in the early stages to ensure you are building a more affordable home!
5. Centralize the plumbing: Make sure to plan your heavy plumbing areas, including kitchen, laundry room, and bathrooms in close proximity to each other, reducing the cost of running costly plumbing pipes all over the house.
QTF Homes Top Tip for affordable build: Get your architect to alter your plans or speak to them at design stage – it cuts out a lot of experience costs if they are not needed.
6. Heating costs: At the moment the average home heating, fuel and electricity bills costs are between £800.00- £950.00 per annum, but a timber-frame house costs are estimated at £270.00 a year to heat due to the nature of the material and installation.
QTF Homes Top Tip for affordable build: Help improve your energy costs, think about installing a wood-burning stove and back boiler which will help with heating your home and water saving you more on heat costs.
7. Spend more on insulation: A well sealed and insulated house will not only save energy in the long run, it will save you money today by reducing the amount you must spend on larger heating and air-conditioning equipment and while efficient thermal insulation is undoubtedly the key elements in preventing heat loss within a home, problem areas exist at the joints where surfaces such as walls, roofs, windows and doors meet. By achieving the A3 BER ratings , a timber frame build from QTF Homes will save you money on your long term heating costs. Reducing oil and heating costs year on year. We do this by ensuring the joints are airtight to prevent all draughts that may enter the structure.
QTF Homes Top Tip for affordable build: Find out how much you need and buy the insulation in bulk, its surprising how much you can save here.
8. Mix and match: Don’t limit your appliance and fixture choices to one brand. It’s perfectly okay to combine brands to buy best-deal appliances and fixtures.
QTF Homes Top Tip for affordable build: Shop online! Look for online outlet stores and affordable online stores – we have heard great things about Victoria Plum online bathroom and plumbing store.
If you decide to choose a timber frame house, all costs are fixed which allows for certainty of budget and greater control. Read more great advantages of choosing to build with a Timber Frame kit with QTF Homes:
These eco-friendly quality timber frame homes can be built affordable and to budget. They conform to and are ahead of UK Building regulations and are seen as conventional buildings when applying for a mortgage. Our timber frame buildings are super insulated, have effective sound insulation for inner walls and offer excellent building performance. If you wish to find out more about our timber frame kits and would like us to quote you for your self-build project please contact us at email@example.com or telephone +44 28 4063 2494. See more at www.qtfhomes.co.uk/new.
If you wish to learn and find out more about ‘The house that £100k built’ the next episode is on BBC2 on 22 March 2017 at 8:00pm.